Oranges used to be heavily advertised for their health benefits. The “Sunshine State” of Florida spent a lot of money promoting them. However in recent years oranges have been left to their own appeal (no pun intended). So, why not talk about the health benefits of oranges? There is probably a lot more than you think.
So, what are the benefits of eating oranges?
- Oranges lower cholesterol because they are full of water soluble fiber, which is known to help lower cholesterol.
- Oranges contain ‘phytochemicals’ that protect against cancer. They are rich in citrus limonoids, which have been proven to fight cancers of the skin, breast, lung, stomach, and colon. Wow!
- Mandarin oranges are specifically cited as being beneficial in the fight against liver cancer. It may be due to vitamins A, which are known as carotenoids.
- Vitamin A is also great for preventing macular degeneration of the eye.
- Oranges are loaded with vitamin C, the free radical-fighting super hero. Free radicals are said to cause chronic diseases, like heart disease and cancer.
- Oranges contain simple sugars like all fruits; however they have a very low glycemic index number of 40, in which anything under 55 is considered to be low. They will not spike your blood sugar level and cause insulin or weight gain.
- Oranges also have high levels of calcium, potassium and pectin.
Oranges, the Super Fruit
Oranges, which are known to prevent scurvy, do much more than what the sailors of old had thought. Plus oranges have a strong outer skin, which helps it to last longer. All that nutritional goodness; it must be all the wonderful sun!